Confessions of the Divine Miss K

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Light At the End of the Tunnel


So. Tomorrow is my last day at my current job. I wrote Charkins the following in a recent email: I do know this - AS GOD IS MY WITNESS I WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER GODDAMN RECEPTIONIST AGAIN (with shaking fist, raise stapler defiantly at the sunset sky).

People, I cannot get away from this job fast enough. It actually wasn’t that bad at first (i.e. when I first started working here a mere two months ago). But as usually is the case once I know I’m leaving a position, I am now absolutely clawing the walls.

It doesn’t help that I just don’t care. Seriously. I. don’t. give. a. fucking. rat’s. ass. Just let me be done. Ugh. And this is where I’m sooo bad. See, I should leave a place with them still actually liking me and thinking to themselves, “Gosh, she’ll be hard to replace.” But because by the end I am so disinterested and apathetic regarding my job, they’re usually just as eager to see me go as I am to leave (case in point: that EVIL job I was at in Calgary a few months back).

Adders gave me a lecture about this last week, and yes, I know I’m very naughty. It is especially not wise to do this in a small town (because chances are I’ll still have to interact with these people at some point). And I really don’t want to burn any bridges. But c’mon – I’m a goddamn secretary. As long as the phones get answered and the mail delivered and the letters typed, isn’t it okay if I slack just a bit in my last week?

I got yelled at today too. My first time getting yelled at on the job. Ever. (Well, except for back at that evil place in Calgary. But there I was working for Mr. Lucifer and Mrs. Satan. No, no I joke not. They were the Prince and Princess of Darkness. And they took me on a trip to Los Angeles which might as well have been to Hell. Because it was terrible. And there was lots of anguish on my part coupled with tears and gnashing of teeth). (Oh, and I think I got yelled at during my tenure at McDonald’s back in high school. But that also doesn’t count because, well, it just doesn’t. Come on, if they had really yelled at me, they would have been the ones in trouble, not me. And I probably deserved it anyway because having a job where it is 100% impossible to be fired at does not a good worker make). But today, I got yelled at for reals, actually more like bellowed at across the office for everyone to hear.

It was completely unacceptable and I’ll tell you why. Yes, I was on a personal call, a very short one to my father. And yes, I do make personal calls rather frequently (at LEAST once a day) (although they’re usually quite short and if they are going to be long such as my ones to Charkins, I just make sure that no one is in the office). But here’s my biggest complaint: if you don’t like your employees making personal telephone calls at work JUST SAY THE FUCK SO. But please, PLEASE, don’t say that it’s okay, nay encourage them to do so, and then when they do, freak the fuck out. It’s not like I abuse it. Seriously, I don’t. And if I am on a personal call, I ALWAYS make sure that I answer any other call coming through on the other lines. Furthermore, it’s my bloody second to last day. If you were ever going to yell at me about my (frequent) personal calls, you should have done so back like a month ago when I would have actually cared. Instead, being yelled at now has only reaffirmed the goodness in my decision to get the fuck out of this lame-ass job.

Sigh. I know this is a rant. And I should probably just simmer. But see, now my boss, AFTER yelling at me, has just asked me to go do his filing. Wha??!!! Excuuuuuuse me? Oh, and also to run out and buy him a chocolate bar. Is he fucking mad? Like, first up, do your own goddamn filing. Seriously. The folders are all in your desk, in your office, and they’re your clients. Plus, it’s only like three papers to be filed. Get off your own lazy ass and DO IT. Second of all, I’m NOT your errand girl. I repeat, NOT. And maybe I wouldn’t even mind going to get you some chocolate if you hadn’t just been rude and mean to me.

The thing is, I should totally be treated with more respect, especially when, though I might not be doing any actual work this week since I’m rather lazy and too bored to bother, I’m still looking hot. Even more so than usual today which means I’m looking hotT. New dress. New jewellery. Same hotness. And if ANYTHING should count for something, it’s that. ‘Cause buddy? Just remember that I’m the one that makes this company look goooooood.

Hee, hee, hee.

Yeah, I’m being a total bitch. I realize that. But for God’s sake, I just want to be done. Although I’m a bit apprehensive about starting this new job on Tuesday (for the record, it’ll be my fourth job in six months) (impressive, no?) (do you think I have commitment issues?). The reason for this is because I’m a bit worried that my new boss is a definite yeller. SCARY! But at the same time, I think it’s going to be an amazing experience. Terrifying, yes. With lots of responsibility and mean people too. But cool nonetheless. At least that’s what I’m hoping against hope.

So yeah. That’s my news in the job front.

The parent front, well – that’s actually doing surprisingly well. We’ve had a bit of a reconciliation of sorts. Thing are FAR from being back to normal (read: they never will be). But a sort of an apology was extended to Adders by my mom and it was sort of accepted by Adders. My dad is supposed to take Adders’ parents out for coffee to start bridging that gap. And I’ve seen my mom a few times where we’ve managed to have cheery and only slightly phoney conversations about hair, makeup and clothes (at least we still share the most important things in common!).

I’m actually feeling quite optimistic. Cautious, yes. But optimistic nonetheless. Adders is way more suspect than me (no shocker there). But I think even he is ready for us to start moving on and getting everyone on board as best we can. So there you go – miracles can happen, they just never happen the way you’d have liked to seen them take place (because more often than not they usually require you to do all the work). But still. I’m relieved.

And what about my darling Adders you might ask? Well, we’ve been very naughty this past summer. Since I made my return to Cranberry Corners, we’ve spent every single night together at my place (or out at Koocs). This, well, this has mostly been at my insistence. The one night Adders tried to sneak back to his parents, well, similar to my boss today, I freaked the fuck out. I might have even thrown a water bottle at him (oh, wait. Nope. That was another incident. My bad). Point is, he hasn’t since tried to leave my side (awwww). However, now his parents have joined the Morality Campaign and have made noises that we shouldn’t be “ruining the fun of being newlyweds.” And maybe they have a point.

So Adders is looking for new digs (although you can rest assure that he will still be spending many-a-nights with me). And we just may have found the spot. Folks, we have put an offer on what we hope is our first home. EEEEK! Isn’t that so very scary and yet adultish of us? I mean, we might (and I stress MIGHT) be buying our very first home. That’s like, well, that’s like major! A milestone if you will!

It’s really cute and white with black shutters and while the kitchen practically needs to be gutted, it’s still a steal of a deal and so we’re crossing our fingers very tightly.

So yeah – as you can see things are finally starting to go well. For a while there I was in permanent coping mood but now – roses (and by roses, I actually mean diamonds. As in I’ve started looking around for an engagement ring in a serious way). (EEEEK! Another scary/adultish thing! What the hell is going on? Wasn’t my life just like a 17 year olds just a year ago?).

Ok, kids. Well, I’m off. I’ll be writing more next week when I start my new job. With the new boss. Who hopefully isn’t a screamer and appreciates my hotness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home